- Fresh -
Pickled onion and cucumber salad
- • 3 medium white onions (500g), peeled
- • 6 large Lebanese cucumbers (1kg), washed
- • 1 tbs fine table salt
- • 1 tsp mustard seeds
- • 1 1/3 cups water
- • 2/3 cup apple cider or white vinegar
- • 1 ½ tbs caster sugar
- • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- • small mint leaves, to serve
- 1. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice onions and cucumbers into very thin rounds. Place into a large bowl, sprinkle over the salt. Toss gently to coat. Cover and set aside 30 minutes.
- 2. Tip the mustard seeds into a small, dry frying pan. Place over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan 3-4 minutes until warm and aromatic.
- 3. Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, pepper and warm mustard seeds in a large jug, stir to dissolve the sugar.
- 4. Using your hands, squeeze the onions and cucumber, in batches, over the sink to remove excess liquid. Place the onions and cucumber into a tall, clean jar or deep glass bowl. Pour over the pickling mixture, making sure the vegetables are covered. Refrigerate overnight.
- 5. Spoon onto a shallow bowl, scatter with mint leaves and serve.
- Serving Suggestion: This clean, crisp refreshing salad is delicious served with seafood, chicken or schnitzel. Also perfect at Christmas time with ham, turkey, prawns and oysters.
- Tip: The salad will keep in a clean jar in the fridge for 1 week.