- Yummy -
Spiced onion rice
- • 1 ½ cups long grain rice rinsed
- • 2 ¼ cups (560ml) water
- • 2 tbs olive oil
- • 60g butter, chopped
- • 4 large brown onions, peeled, halved, chopped
- • 1 tbs brown sugar
- • 1 tsp each of smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander
- • ¼ pine nuts, toasted
- • 3 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley, optional
- 1. Add rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until small craters appear in the surface of the rice. Remove from heat and stand covered for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a large deep-frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions, stir to coat. Press a piece baking paper onto the surface of the onions, cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes until soft.
- 3. Discard the paper, add the sugar, increase the heat to medium, cook for 15 minutes, stirring often until light golden.
- 4. Stir in the combined spices, and season well. Add the rice then pine nuts, stir until warmed through. Scatter over the parsley if using and serve.