- Hearty -
- 2 brown onions – chopped
- 8 thick sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1L beef stock
- ½ sprig rosemary
- 1 small sweet potato – chopped
- ½ butternut pumpkin – chopped
- 2 carrots – chopped
- Handful mushrooms – quartered (optional)
- ¼ bunch parsley – stalks finely chopped and leaves roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1. Pre heat the oven to 160C fan forced.
- 2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a flameproof casserole dish (see tip) over medium heat. Add the sausages, cook turning until golden. Remove to a plate. Add remaining oil with the parsley stalks, garlic and onion. Saute, 5 minutes until softened. Add the stock, rosemary, sweet potato, pumpkin and carrots. Bring to the simmer. Return the sausages.
- 3. Cover with a lid (see tip). Place into the oven, cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- 4. Add the mushrooms. Return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes before removing from the heat.
- 5. Carefully transfer the liquid from the casserole dish into a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat, boil 5-8 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened .Pour the sauce back over the casserole, season and scatter with parsley.
- Tip - A flameproof casserole dish means its suitable for both stovetop and use in the oven. If you don’t have one you can cook steps 1-3 in a frying pan then transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish
- Tip - If your casserole dish doesn’t have a lid, press a piece of baking paper right onto the surface of the casserole then cover with two layers of foil.