- Mildly Spiced -
Butter Chicken with Rice and Naan
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup butter chicken paste or tandoori paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut in half crossways
- ¼ cup Ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 brown onions, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato passata sauce
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp white sugar
- Steamed rice, toasted naan bread, coriander to serve
- 1. Combine yoghurt, paste, cumin, and ginger in a large bowl. Add chicken, stir until well coated.
- 2. Heat half the ghee/ oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove to a clean plate.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium, add onions and remaining ghee / oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until onion is soft. Return chicken to pan with passata, cream and sugar. Bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until sauce is thickens and chicken is cooked through.
- 4. Serve butter chicken with rice, naan bread and coriander.
- Tip: If you can’t find butter chicken paste you can use tandoori paste, it’s a little spicier.
- Tip: Ghee is clarified butter, you will find it in jars in the international section of the supermarket. Once opened store in the fridge. Use it in place of butter when working with filo pastry or cooking pancakes.
- Tip: Toast naan bread in a large dry frying pan over a medium-high heat or wrapped in foil in a hot oven.